Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never prior to have so lots of new methods and scientific advancements emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses countless individuals the chance to reduce or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and painless method to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to help ensure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The crucial to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by expensive ads about a specific laser. Pick the doctor, not the laser. Discover out who will really do your procedure, then ask about that doctor's credentials (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Select a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a doctor does not understand can injure you.
4. Request information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. Find another one if your medical professional won't inform you. For leading surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what steps are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgery to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgery is as excellent as a discount rate parachute.
Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, however don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as individual as each client. Beware of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a vehicle; my sources this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 approximately, implantable lenses will most likely provide better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting till the new lenses are readily available. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the eyesight of countless individuals worldwide.